Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Day Dreamin'

Have you seen Ramona and Beezus?  Ramona is exactly the sort of day dreamer I used to be. When I was younger my day dreams would last throughout the day pausing for breaks only when I was forced back to reality. They were outrageous, vividly real, sometimes romantic and always ended perfect.  I was able to function during my daydreams.  I remember in 3rd grade having a wildly ridiculous daydream while doing my work one day.  The work was terribly boring and while writing whatever it was I was writing, I was daydreaming about a certain boy that I had a crush on; he swung through the classroom on a Tarzan rope, picking me up as he swung and when we landed we were on the island from Swiss Family Robinson.  We spent the rest of the day riding Zebras and swimming in the wonderful pool of water from the movie. Now that is a cool daydream. 

As I got older my day dreams continued, but they are not as exciting or as real as they were when I was young.  Day dreams are something I have pondered about quite a lot recently.  I can’t decide if the daydreams have affected my sense of happiness one way or the other. Did the daydreams from my past give me an altered sense of what life should be like as an adult, or is it that the inability to daydream like I once did,  makes me less happy? Or does my day dreaming have anything to do with anything? 

The last vivid daydream I can remember having was when I was sitting in the car at a stop light and a man walked by without me realizing he was coming up so close to the car.  I then played out a series of events of what I would do if I was car jacked.  They were vivid and I always got away from the maniac, but seriously, couldn’t I start having better day dreams? 

It seems to me that when you are young, daydreams are a way that your mind fills all the blanks that are in your life and fixes the things that are beyond your control.  Once you reach a certain point in your life, the blanks get filled and you realize that you have quite a lot of power to fix things on your own- so your daydream possibilities are pretty narrowed……  This is where; if we are good and devoted members of the day dreamers club,  we have a responsibility to start dreaming bigger. 

So go on out and dream the biggest day dream possible, I'll catch you on the other side of reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment